Rags-to-riches stories often help others by giving them hope that they, too, can overcome their circumstances and turn their lives around. Many people have done exactly that, including these 6 black celebrities.
- Halle Berry - shockingly, Halle Berry lived in a homeless shelter in Chicago when she ran out of money while pursuing her acting career.
- Tyler Perry - lived in his car in Atlanta while struggling to become a writer. He also came from an abusive family.
- Michael Oher - whose life was featured in the movie, The Blind Side, spent years in foster care and was homeless but later went on to play for the Baltimore Ravens and Tennessee Titans.
- Chris Gardener - multimillionaire, motivational speaker, philanthropist and international businessman Chris Gardener once lived in a church basement and a BART station bathroom with his 2-year-old son. His life was portrayed by Will Smith in the movie The Pursuit of Happyness.
- Steve Harvey - comedian, television host, radio personality, actor, and author Steve Harvey lived in his car when he fell on hard times. He now has several television and radio shows, and is a best-selling author.
- Lil’ Kim - rapper, songwriter, record producer, model, and actress Lil' Kim lived on the streets of New York after being kicked out of her home by her father until her career finally took off.